Monday, May 26, 2008

Bangkok, a social hub, a physiological nightmare

To anyone who comes to Thailand from England. Welcome to the biggest culture shock of your life mate...I could only think of one thing which would be harder for your body to accept...a trip to outer space, the no gravity thing would be so weird huh!?

Other English people I meet who come to Bangkok tell me they hate it. It's usually their first time. Bangkok is a living, breathing, entity entirely unto itself. There is no place like it, it swims with beauty, bountiful culture, incredible people, hard hitting clubs and the best food you could ever ask for. However, having said this you also have to know where to look, and this takes time.

Remebering England as 'the most watched country in the world' through CCTV, depicted by it's 'nanny state culture' with red tape everywhere, 'the suing culture', making English people seem like naughty, unknowing children who will go insane if not watched, 'well looked after' and kept under constant control by the fear mongering, money grabbing government, religious figures and media...democracy my ass is all I can say. (Note:personal opinion, and the reason I no longer reside in this country, feel free to disagree if you like)
Coming out and living Thai life, I'm surprised I didn't go directly into shock, have heart failure and collapse right there in the middle of Siam Square, never to breathe again.
It is no surprise to a family of 6, a full basket of washing and a dog crammed on to one motorbike, with only the driver wearing a helmet, because out here that is the law. Could you ever imagine that in London, no, I didn't think so!
The pavements are full, full of street vendors, I think the rule of thumb is if theres space on the pavement you can sell something on it...it makes it pretty hard for you to walk down so I dread to think how it for people who have to use a wheel chair...I think they have to take on the nutty Bangkok traffic and pray to the good lord they don't get killed in a horrific car/tuk-tuk/bus accident. Hats off to them really, I'd never leave the house.

On the subject of the pavements, remember if you do go out drinking and partying in Bangkok, you are more than likely going to muller your body in some respect...here's a tale of woe as an example for you...

I got drunk ok, like really really drunk on Koah San road, a good time but as I was walking to get a taxi to Silom I tripped on one of most uneven pavements in all of Bangkok and mushed my toe into the concrete. Twisted knees and ass on the floor later I was clambering up wondering if anyone had seen. Now, I am hobbling round with a broken toe, swollen and black and blue, wholeheartedly regretting wearing my flip flops in Bangkok, sensible shoes people, sensible shoes!!!!

Although this does link back to the don't lose your favourite and only trainers on Pha Ngan...a lesson learned...

Having complained alot...I still prefer living in Thailand...it's never dull!

No comments: